Thoughts on biking and Czech life through the Eyes of an American

Friday, February 09, 2007

Because sometimes you have to jump...

Its occurred to me that it has been quite some time since I contributed to this blog. I guess everything between the previous post and this one is the exact same. Still with the same job, still have the same bike... oh but wait, maybe a few things are different...

I met a nice Moravian girl in the summer of 05 who was working for the summer in Maine. Coming all the way from the Czech Republic, Linda was relegated to a small B&B on the Maine coast which is extremely beautiful (some even regard it as the most pristine coastal setting in the US) but it's also quite... mmm how do you say... boring, for an adventurer traveling to the US for the first time. When I heard about her frustrations in dealing with the isolation of Brooklin Maine (population: a few hundred lobsters, some fish, and a porpoise or two), I decided to meet up with her and hopefully redeem the state's image before she returned home. With no car, a B&B owner who only cared about the discount international labor, and the student exchange agency that didn't seem too interested if the students enjoyed themselves for the summer, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

We hit the major tourist spots as well as some areas that only Mainers with the thickest accents know about. Colorful mountain-top sunsets, gourmet dinners outside by the water, bike rides that passed by placid lakes and rocky bluffs, swimming (...burrrrr), rather lying on the beach, were all special moments where Linda discovered Maine, and I discovered joy in my life once again. Certainly I am omitting several details ...but some paintings have to be seen with your own eye to get a full appreciation of the art... punching keyboard keys, no matter how I color the words, can ever replicate the true masterpiece.

Of course, Linda would have to say goodbye at some point. I had to fight with the questions, is letting go something I will regret later? Do I really want to wonder each and every day what she is doing, where she is, if she is thinking of me, if our love can survive a distance of 4000 miles? So many questions but there was an easy answer for me. If I want to find out if she is suppose to be part of my life then I know exactly what I have to do...

Greetings from Brno, Czech Republic.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home