Thoughts on biking and Czech life through the Eyes of an American

Friday, March 02, 2007

Hang on Tight, She's Packin' Wind


Ride Stats

  • Distance:53.56

  • Time:3:05:45

  • Avg. Speed17.3 mph

  • Max. Speed47.1 mph

  • Climbing:4580 feet

  • Avg. HR:144 bpm

  • Energy:2224 cal

  • Distance 2007:488.4



Biking Shot of the Day



Windy

47°

High: 49° Low: 45°



My IE
47°

High: 49° Low: 45°






Bright and sunny all day so I took my time getting ready catching up on some things at work and around the house. Within 10 minutes of leaving the apartment I was confronted by some of the ugliest clouds this side of Kansas. Luckily a twister didn’t suck me up but the wind was brutal. I took this photo on the sun/storm cusp just to prove my rotten luck and to remind myself that procrastination leaves you vulnerable to Mother Nature's fury. 26 continuous miles directly into a sustained 30mph headwind makes for a tough ride across very hilly terrain.

I finally reached the half way point and started to return home. With the wind at my back I was able to hit 47.1 mph down a very gentle roller (I wouldn't even consider it a hill). I was lamenting the entire way home because of my 12-25 gearing. I recently "upgraded"(?) to 10 speed and I forgot to ask the shop to order me an 11 tooth gear. A 12 tooth is extremely boring for downhills and even an 11 gets maxed out often on my route.

I was shrouded in dark clouds and tossed around by blustery winds the entire 3 hours. Ironically, the sun reappeared as soon as I made my final turn.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home